Tuesday, October 30, 2012 By Aaron Brown
I'll have more on this when details are released. Biden's visit is listed as dependent on weather conditions.
Having attended college and grad school in Superior, I can confirm that Biden and Superior will form a well-constructed literary theme.
Fun Facts about Superior:
- Idiots call it Sup-Town (Soup Town).
- It existed before Duluth, even though it's now overshadowed by its larger Minnesota sister-city.
- It's ethnic composition and layout closely mirror Iron Range towns, full of European immigrants who came to work in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
- Richard Bong was a vaunted WWII test pilot from Superior who died serving his country. That's why the bridge and other sites in town are named "Bong." So stop laughing.
- The trains that passed a couple hundred feet from my family's trailer house on the Iron Range went to Superior to unload ore into the big lakers heading east on Lake Superior.
- Superior is my nomination for capitol of the State (or Republic, if necessary) of Superior, a concept first developed in the early-1800s.